Liven up your space
Throw pillows can give even the most gorgeous furnishings an extra finished look. (Not to mention lounge appeal!)
While many pieces of furniture already come with a matching set of throw pillows, you may still want to consider swapping out a few or all of them to create your own personal statement.
But with so many colors, patterns and sizes to choose from, how do you know where to begin?
How to create a modern look
First of all, keep in mind is that your pillows don’t have to match – you’ll actually pull off a more stylish, modern look if they don’t. But to ensure your pillows coordinate well together, here are a few tips for creating a perfectly mismatched look:
- Choose an odd number of pillows (three to five for a sofa or one for a chair). The asymmetry will make your pillows look like they were naturally tossed there.
- You don’t have to stick to square pillows. A small rectangular one in the center or odd-shaped ones on the outside can add visual interest.
Add a splash of color
More tips for selecting throw pillows:
- Mix and match patterns – combine a larger pattern with solid, subtler designs.
- Contrast different textures (for instance, linen or faux fur against a leather couch).
- Pick complementary colors that work well together. Think about colors you can pull from your walls, an area rug or a piece of artwork.
The fun thing about throw pillows is that you can always change them up to give the room a whole new feel. And whatever pillows you go with, the true test of a great look is how much you like it when you enter the room.
MADE WITH LOVE AND CARE
Pioneer Window Fashions is here to help with all your home design needs. From stunning Hunter Douglas window treatments to gorgeous fabrics, we’ll work with you to create a home you love.
Blog content copyright Hunter Douglas.