Ideas for rejuvenating this space with minimum effort—for maximum return
The living room is where life happens—family movie nights, reading the Sunday paper, watching the big game, catching up with friends. With so much going on, this space is probably ready for a little R&R (refresh and re-do).
Here’s how to give your living room a pick-me-up, without a major overhaul.
- Paint the walls. A fresh coat of paint is an easy and affordable design hack for giving a room an instant lift.
- Update light fixtures. Rather than spring for new fixtures, swap out lampshades or paint the base of floor lamps.
- Add throw pillows. Mix and match different patterns, colors, sizes, textures and shapes to pump up the room’s aesthetics.
- Reconsider your window treatments. Have you ever updated your shades or blinds? If you’re looking at outdated styles, now’s the perfect time to give your windows—a focal point in your room—some love.
- Increase natural light. Light makes a room feel larger and, obviously, brighter. To usher more natural light into your space, trying adding decorative mirrors, which reflect light.
- Bring the outdoors in. Potted plants can make an empty corner feel cozy, while adding dimension and texture to a room.
- Try a splash of color. If neutrals are your thing, add a hint of the unexpected with a colorful accent, like a throw pillow, a statement piece of furniture, or even a flowering plant.
- Contain clutter in style. An ottoman with a lid is perfect for hiding stacks of magazines and TV remotes, while decorative baskets are a pretty way to store throw blankets.
- Dress up the floor. An area rug, which helps anchor furniture, is an easy way to add a little something to your living room. Already have an area rug? Try layering a smaller one on top of it for some extra flair.
- Accentuate bookshelves. Give ho-hum bookshelves a little oomph by painting the back of the shelves a color, or adding peel and stick wallpaper.
MADE WITH LOVE AND CARE
Pioneer Window Fashions is here to help with all your home design needs. From stunning Hunter Douglas window treatments to gorgeous fabrics, we’ll work with you to create a home you love.
Blog content copyright Hunter Douglas.