A little bit of black goes a long way in adding drama, sophistication, seriousness or masculinity.
A touch of black is a design necessity. It’s a tried-and-true interior design adage that every room needs just a smidgeon of black.
There’s something about adding an element of black to a room that anchors the room and enhances the other colors. You and your guests may not even notice the touch of black, but it does make a difference.
One of the best things about black is that it never goes out of style, even as other colors rise and fall in popularity, so your black accents will probably outlast all your other design elements!
Black goes well with so many colors, especially cream or any off-white – or even pure, snowy white. It also looks beautiful with bold jewel tones and soft pastels. Today, some people are even decorating with black as the primary color in their design scheme, but be cautious about using too much black – it can be overpowering.
Ideas for a touch of black include:
- Frames for paintings, photographs or prints
- Granite or marble countertops in the kitchen or bath
- Lamps or lampshades
- Upholstery fabric – in moderation
- Lacquer moldings around windows and doors
- A valance, top treatment or drapery rod
- Leather-covered walls or wall coverings
- The inside surfaces of a built-in shelving system
- Wrought iron for stair railings or bed frames
Anchor your home decor by adding a splash of black in every room this spring.
Copyright Hunter Douglas.