Green is a natural choice for home decorating. Found in the world’s forests, meadows and gardens, it brings a feeling of the outdoors to the inside of your home.
For home decorating, you have so many choices in the green family, from rich and lush, and calm and serene, to bold and brilliant. Because green comes in so many shades, it’s a very flexible design color.
Just think of all the beautiful natural names for green hues: sage, lime, spring, forest, emerald, mint, fern, grass, avocado, jade, apple, celery and pistachio.
Bring the Outdoors Inside
Naturally, you have lots of possibilities to add green to your décor, whether in small touches or major design elements:
- Painted walls and paint stenciling
- Upholstery and drapery fabric
- Window coverings
- Painted wood furniture and kitchen cabinets
- Rugs and carpeting
- Lamps and light fixtures
- Accessories such as throw pillows, vases, and artwork
- Tile countertops and backsplashes
Finish with Neutral Colors
It’s usually best to stick with one or two shades of green, and use neutrals and other accents to finish your design plan.
Colors that work well with green tones include:
- White, gray and neutral beiges and creams
- Browns, camels and taupes
- Pinks, reds and salmon
- Small touches of blue, black, yellow or gold
Looking for a more natural feel in your home environment? Add green this season!