Adding built-ins maximizes the floor space of your home.
Use built-ins for dramatic displays, hidden storage, an entertainment center or extra seating.
Storage is a challenge, especially since we Americans like to accumulate “stuff.” And almost nothing detracts more from a beautiful interior design plan than lots of clutter and chaos. A great solution – and one that can add beauty and a focal point to your home – is built-ins, including cabinets, shelving, seating and more.
Built-ins are appropriate for almost any room in the house – family rooms, kitchens, home offices, dining rooms, living rooms and bedrooms. They can also be used to separate areas of a large room or fill an awkward space in a corner or below the stairs.
Think outside the box when planning built-ins for almost any room in your home:
- To serve as display space around the fireplace
- For seating as a built-in banquette in the kitchen
- To display treasures and books along a wide hallway
- To hold audio and video equipment as your entertainment center
- To create a hidden desk inside a closet
- For storage at the bedside or even under the bed
- To put away dishes, glasses, serving ware and linens in the dining room
- As a casual place to chat or read with a window seat
Copyright Hunter Douglas