Take your décor to new heights
Most of the time, we think about ceilings as just a blank place at the top of our walls. Instead, think of ceilings as a fifth wall that can be enhanced to add character and beauty or make your rooms seem more spacious.
Some changes involve major structural renovations, such as:
- Warm wood beams
- Rustic wood slats
- Vaulted ceilings
- Raising the roof to add a row of windows
- Cutting through the roof to install skylights
For these dramatic changes, you’ll need to hire a contractor (and maybe even an engineer) to advise you and do the work, keeping in mind structural issues in your home.
More ideas for enhancing a room’s ceiling
Other ceiling enhancements are easier to complete such as:
- Crown molding on or near the ceiling
- Coffered ceilings
- Coved ceilings
- Hollow beams that don’t add weight to your home’s structure
- Contrasting paint color, either darker or lighter than wall paint
- Stencils or murals
- Faux paint finishes
Take your home environment to a higher level – and don’t forget about the ceilings!