The possibilities are almost limitless.
Don’t be a square – or even a rectangle! Rooms that have only sharp edges and straight lines can create a feeling of too much order and lead to a sense of discomfort or inflexibility. Add just a few round design elements as an accent to soften and relax a room.
You can be creative in your definition of “round” to include more than perfect circles. Include ovals, egg-shapes, ellipses, arches, curls, cylinders, rings and more.
Even in the feng-shui concept of interior design, round shapes are important. Feng shui is about balancing five elements, one of which is metal. The metal element is expressed as a round shape in decor; and round design elements are believed to bring clarity, precision, freshness and equality into a room.
The possibilities for adding round shapes to your home environment are almost unlimited:
- Circular or oval rugs
- Round pillows
- Curved patterns in wallpaper or upholstery fabric
- Cylindrical, round or oval accessories – such as vases, bowls and urns
- Disk-shaped tables – including dining tables, end tables and coffee tables
- Round light fixtures or lamps
- A circular sofa sectional
- Elliptical or round mirrors or artwork
- Spiral staircases
- And if you’re remodeling, round windows and arch top doorways or windows – or you can change the shape of a room to have a rounded window bay.
Think outside the box and smooth out the hard edges in your home.
© Hunter Douglas